1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 30, 2021 1:50 PM by Marcus Bacher

Seeking certified copy of Naturalization paperwork

Henry Lazzaro Newbie

My grandfather was naturalized in the Circuit Court of Cook County Illinois in 1922. I obtained a copy of his naturalization papers from the Circuit Clerks Office but the Circuit Clerk cannot provide a certified copy on which to obtain an Apostile. The Secretary of States Office informed me the Archives may have the original records and be able to provide a certified copy. If so, how do I go about obtaining a certified copy of the records?

• Re: Seeking certified copy of Naturalization paperwork
          Marcus Bacher Adventurer

Dear Mr. Lazzaro,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you send a request to the National Archives at Chicago (RM-CH) via email at chicago.archives@nara.gov for a certified copy of the naturalization records for your father.  To ensure a successful request, please include the name of petitioner (including known variants); date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin.  The RM-CH staff will search the appropriate indexes. If a record is located, you will be contacted for payment and shipping information. If no record is found, the staff will provide you with steps for further research.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RM-CH.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

Please review NARA’s Dual Citizenship Assistance - Frequently Asked Questions web page for more information concerning certification of an ancestor’s naturalization records and obtaining an apostille.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!