2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2022 11:53 AM by LESLEY WRIGHT

    Seeking info about grandfather's military intelligence career & a potential DSM


      My grandfather COL HUBERT E NOLDE retired in 1975 after 30+ years active duty with the US Army, primarily as a military intelligence officer. I’m really looking for any kind of information regarding a Distinguished Service Medal he may or may not have received.  Also – would hiring an independent researcher/archivist at the National Archives/NPRC/NARA expedite the process at all? Hopefully all that makes sense — thanks so much in advance!!

        • Re: Seeking info about grandfather's military intelligence career & a potential DSM
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some information from the Army Registers. He also served in WW2 and you can see his medals on his uniform


          Name:Hubert E Nolde
          Marital status:Single, without dependents (Single)
          Birth Year:1925
          Nativity State or Country:Louisiana
          Residence:Vernon, Louisiana
          Education:2 years of college
          Enlistment Date:8 Nov 1944
          Enlistment Place:San Francisco, California
          Service Number:39427114
          Branch:No branch assignment
          Component:Selectees (Enlisted Men)
          Source:Civil Life





          Larger memorial image loading...


          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking info about grandfather's military intelligence career & a potential DSM
            Rachael Salyer Ranger

            Dear Lesley Wright,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            The information you are seeking about your grandfather’s medals will most likely be listed in his  Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) that you have already requested from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC). Regarding verification and replacement of awards for former Army personnel, the NPRC will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate Army department for issuance of the medals. For requesting verification of medals and awards, please use eVetRecs on NARA’s website or complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and send it to NARA's Military Personnel Records, National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Provide as much information as possible in Section II under "other."


            We searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the World War II Army Enlistment Records database that includes one file related to Hubert E. Nolde. You may use the information in this file when submitting the GSA Standard Form 180.


            The General Order (GO) numbers that note the awards or honors your grandfather received are also likely to be listed in his OMPF. Once you have the GO numbers, or if you know the unit(s) your grandfather served in, we may be able to locate the full General Order or identify additional potentially relevant records. Please note that the U.S. Army unit records in the custody of the National Archives generally do not contain information about individuals; rather, they include information about the engagements and activities of the unit as a whole and may provide some context or background information related to your grandfather’s service. There is no name index to these records, and they have not been digitized. For more information about Army unit records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov. Please include as much information as possible in your inquiry, including full name, unit number(s), and dates and locations of interest.


            Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.  Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            Hiring an independent researcher will not expedite your request.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!