1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 29, 2021 1:28 PM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking proof I received Combat Action ribbon

    Joe Smith Newbie

      I need proof that I received the Combat Action ribbon while assigned to MWSG-17, 1st MAW in Vietnam from November 1967 to July 1969. How do I do thia?

        • Re: Seeking proof I received Combat Action ribbon
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Mr. Smith,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          For former Marine Corps personnel, NARA's National Personnel Records Center will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate Navy department for issuance of the medals. For requesting medals and awards, please use eVetRecs on NARA’s website or complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and send it to NARA's Military Personnel Records, National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Provide as much information as possible in Section II under "other."


          You may also wish to request a copy of your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1958 and before May 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NRPC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

          For assistance in obtaining unit awards and decorations, please write to the Archives Branch, Marine Corps History Division, 2044 Broadway Street, Quantico, VA  22134. Please provide the lowest level echelon known (i.e., Company A, 1st Battalion, 1st Marines) when making a request.


          We hope this is helpful.