1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 29, 2021 10:10 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking service records of Edward Everett

    Ronald Everett Newbie

      My Grandfather, Edward Everett (1869-1960) was a Captain in the Quartermaster Corps during WWI and into the 1920s. As far as I can tell, he never served on active duty so I am assuming he was in the National Guard but I do not know what state. He was born in PA but by the time he served, he might have been in OH or MI. How can I get a copy of his service record?

        • Re: Seeking service records of Edward Everett
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Mr. Everett,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of your grandfather’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Next, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Records Relating to the History of the War Department, 1918-1941 (documenting 1898-1941) in the Records of the War Department General and Special Staffs (Record Group 165) that contains documents relating to the activities of the Quartermaster Corps that may include some relevant information If you know where your grandfather was stationed or what unit he served in, we may be able to locate additional related records. For assistance with these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. In your inquiry, please include as much information as possible, such as full name, dates of interest, location, unit number, and so forth.


          Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.  Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Finally, the Army website provides some information about the US Army Quartermaster Corps History that might be of interest to you. We also suggest that you contact the US Army Quartermaster Museum for additional assistance.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!