4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2022 9:44 PM by Mark Davy

Was James Davy killed during the Civil War?

Mark Davy Newbie

I was looking to see if my great, great grandfather, James Albine Davy Sr, from New York state was killed during the Civil War.

• Re: Was James Davy killed during the Civil War?
          Elliot Schneider Guide

Mark,

If you could be more specific on the James Davy such as DOB and place of birth or where he lived in NY. Otherwise I found one James Davy who died in 1864 in the hospital from a disease.

Name:James Davy
          Birth Year:abt 1840
          Birth Place:Wales, New York
          Enlistment Year:1862
          Enlistment Location:Marilla, USA
          Muster Year:1862
          Muster Regiment:100th Infantry
          Separation Date:7 Dec 1864
          Separation Details:Died

Name:James Davy
          Enlistment Age:22
          Birth Date:abt 1839
          Enlistment Date:11 Aug 1861
          Enlistment Place:Marilla, New York
          Enlistment Rank:Private
          Muster Date:11 Aug 1861
          Muster Place:New York
          Muster Company:K
          Muster Regiment:100th Infantry
          Muster Regiment Type:Infantry
          Muster Information:Enlisted
          Muster Out Date:7 Dec 1864
          Muster Out Place:Beaufort, NC Hospl 5
          Muster Out Information:died disease
          Side of War:Union
          Survived War?:No
          Title:New York: Report of the Adjutant-General 1893-1906

1 person found this helpful
              Mark Davy Newbie

Hello Elliot, Thank you for your answer. The 1850 census from Webster, Monroe County NY, listed his age as 31, so 1819 and birth place as Canada. I haven't located a death record and I was wondering if he died in the Civil War as the 1850 census was the last record i can find for him. He would have been 41 at the start of the war which seems a little old to me. I suspect that his grandfather was a Loyalist John Davy of Sir John Johnson Royal Kings Brigade. I was hoping that if he died during the war the death certificate might list his place of birth and date. I could then request information form Canada, but there are quite a few Davy's in Canada as they relocated there, after the war for Independence, from New York.

Elliot Schneider Guide

Mark,

Here is the burial to go along with the records I sent. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/2948456/j-davy

1 person found this helpful
                Rachael Salyer Ranger

Dear Mr. Davy,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Registers of Deceased Volunteer Soldiers, 1861-1864 in the Records of the Adjutant General’s Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94) that may include James Albine Davy, Sr. The registers list the name, rank, organization, date of death, cause and place of death, by whom the report was forwarded, inventory and clothing account, and remarks for Union volunteer soldiers who died during the Civil War. We also located the series Record of Headstone Contracts and U.S. Soldiers' Burials, 1861-1903 in the Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General (Record Group 92) that may include a card of the headstones provided for your deceased Union Civil War veteran. Often the burial information provided for Union soldiers would depend on the unit or hospital and the location of his death. We located 10 series in Record Group 92 that may include the information you seek. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!