1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 23, 2021 12:29 PM by Jillian Minerva

    Seeking Personnel File of New York Postal worker

    Yechezkel Bund Newbie

      Does anybody know if it is possible to obtain the personnel file or other records of a  New York City Postal worker (my grandfather) who worked for the US Post Office from 1924 to 1946 (and died as a member of the Postal Service).   Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!!

        • Re: Seeking Personnel File of New York Postal worker
          Jillian Minerva Adventurer

          Dear Mr. Bund,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Personnel File (OPF). OPFs and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity before 1952 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). Please email RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov and  include the full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of the employing Federal agency, beginning and ending dates of Federal Service. For more information, please check the Official Personnel Folders (OPF), Archival Holdings and Access website.


          Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information. 


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!