2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2021 11:04 AM by Zachary Dabbs

Looking for Information about a Samuel Hodges Ross.

Andrew Ross Wayfarer

Hello everyone,

I am seeking more information on my great grandfather, Samuel Hodges Ross, as part of a project for my family to track the course of my three great grandparents who served during the war. I have already been able to track down two of them, the first being Martin Chamberlain (of whom served on the USS Parker [DD-604], before becoming the commander of the USS Earle [DD-635]), and the other being Charles Brooks (who was present during the attack on Pearl Harbor, before being sent off with the USS Dobbins). Now I need help with the Third and Final Grandparent, of whom is becoming much harder to find records on.

So far, I have been able to find a few records of his, and here is what I know so far: He was drafted twice, the first time (Rejected) in 1943, and the second time (Called) in 1944. After his basic training, he shipped out, arriving on May 7th, 1945. Apart from this, his location in the pacific is unknown to me, apart from the fact that he was in the Army Air-Forces, and worked on building airbases. I also know that at some point, he was injured, and was located in the Marshall Islands, where he remained until he was able to be demobilized. As a further piece of the puzzle, I also know that he was not injured so severely as to be medically discharged, and was forced to wait along with everyone else.

One last part that I was able to find is that he was last stationed at Hickam field (APO 953), at the Pacific Ocean Rest and Recreation Area. From what I can tell, This would indicate that he was attached to the 7th and/or 20th Air Force, though please do correct me if I am wrong. As a further piece, I have attached everything I could find of his from back in the day.

Apart from these brief and fairly generic details, there is not much that I can find. I am currently in the process of trying to find anything of significance that can help nail down a date or location for his time in the pacific, though with the army unit rosters for 1944-1946 (The years of his service) being destroyed, it has made for a very tough search. If any of you can help me find details, or offer places of where I could look, please let me know.

Thanks in Advance.

Front side of

• Re: Looking for Information about a Samuel Hodges Ross.
          Elliot Schneider Guide

Andrew,

Here is some information.

WW2 Hospital Admission Cards:

Name:Samuel H Ross
          Race:White (includes Mexican) (White)
          Admission Age:36
          Birth Date:abt 1909
          Admission Date:Aug 1945
          Discharge Date:Aug 1945
          Discharge Place:Station Hospital
          Military Branch:Air Force, General or Unspecified
          Diagnosis:Diagnosis: Gastritis, acute
          Type of Injury:InjuryType: Disease; InjuryType2: Not a traumatism
          Type of Discharge:Duty (includes AWOL)
          Length of Service:1-2 yr.
          Service Number:39580903
          Notes:None

Birth Date:5 Jan 1909
          Death Date:15 Aug 1979
          Enlistment Date:3 Apr 1944
          Discharge Date:22 Mar 1946

Race:White
          Marital status:Married
          Birth Year:1909
          Nativity State or Country:Arkansas
          Citizenship:Citizen
          Residence:San Diego, California
          Education:1 year of high school
          Civil Occupation:Skilled mechanics and repairmen, n.e.c.
          Enlistment Date:3 Apr 1944
          Enlistment Place:Fort Macarthur San Pedro, California
          Service Number:39580903
          Branch:No branch assignment
          Component:Selectees (Enlisted Men)
          Source:Civil Life
          Height:00
          Weight:000
          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Looking for Information about a Samuel Hodges Ross.
            Zachary Dabbs Tracker

Dear Mr. Ross,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If you have not already done so, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army Air Forces and were separated from the service before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Also, we searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the World War II Army Enlistment Records database that includes a file pertaining to Samuel H. Ross. Please use the information in this file should you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).

In addition, once you have identified specific units in which Mr. Ross served, we suggest you review the online index of the additional historical and operational records of U.S. Army Air Force units which have been microfilmed by the Air Force Historical Research Agency (AFHRA). Unit histories and supporting documents of many Air Force units are in that agency’s custody. The National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) has a copy of the microfilm.

To conduct a search for unit records from World War II, please enter the unit’s identifying information in the search window of the index and narrow your search by including 12/7/1941 in the Start Date and 12/31/1945 in the End Date before clicking the Search button. For example, to search for records of the Seventh Air Force you might enter FORCE/0007/AIR OR "SEVENTH AIR FORCE" in the search bar. Read the brief Abstract to determine which records you are interested in and click on the specific PDF icon. In the PDF listing, the IRISREF number identifies the microfilm reel number; please also note the FRAME and FRAMELST numbers for the location on the reel. If the reel number begins with A, B or C, please contact RDT2 via email at archives2reference@nara.gov for more information about them.

If the reel number begins with D - Z, the microfilm is still security classified and RDT2 will not be able to make the reel available to you. The original paper copy from which the film was created is still in the custody of AFHRA and has been declassified. To obtain copies of these records, please follow the instructions on this page. For more information regarding these records please contact AFHRA by writing to 600 Chennault Circle, Building 1405, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL 36112-6424 or by telephone at (334) 953-5697.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.  Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!