1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 28, 2021 8:26 AM by Marcus Bacher

WW2 Selective Service Processing & Training Questions

Javier Anderson Newbie

I am trying to write up a college report describing the typical process an American citizen could expect once he or she registered for, and received induction papers from the Military in WW2. I know that Executive Order 9279 ended voluntary enlistment for the duration of the war, but how did each of the services (Army, Navy, Army Air Corps, Marines, Coast Guard, etc.) know what their specific quotas would be at any one time? I remember reading somewhere that since the Marines were a part of the U.S. Navy, they could only be one-fifth (or 20%) of all Navy recruitment, but why? how?

Was Selective Service carried out on a national, regional, or local level? What authority did local draft boards have when it came to processing and induction of their local selectees? Were potential prospects given any information as to how to get their affairs in order before reporting for induction? What kind of physical were eligible selectees given before classification? How long was the period between the receipt of their 'greetings' letter and induction?

Next, what happened during basic training? Were officer candidates sent to basic training as well? Did training centers have regimented schedules? What meals or diet were inductees given? What in-take tests, physicals, or interviews were conducted? What kind of paperwork were they expected to fill out? What kind of classes did they attend? What films were they shown? Were there any reading requirements (book, guides, pamphlets, etc.)? What expectation was there of new recruits after completing their 9 weeks of training?

Finally, if a person had specialized skills, what would be the next steps for them? Was advanced training a part of their basic? Who decided on the specialized training curriculum? Was advanced training the same for each service? How were important specialized skills (doctors, mechanics, engineers, scientists, nurses, etc.) filled given their acute need dependent on time and place? What kind of paperwork or safeguards were there to ensure proficiency, or to guarantee that personnel got to where they were needed most around the world?

If anyone could help me with these questions or could direct me to books or other reading material that could enlighten me on these and other topics, I would be very appreciative. Many thanks in advance!