2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2021 11:06 AM by Josette Schluter

Seeking naturalization records from 1924 in Honolulu

ROBERTA WINN Newbie

Greetings,

Hoping for information and guidance, thank you in advance.

Joseph S Fanger

Immigrated from Switzerland to US in 1911, as he states on his passport application in Honolulu in 1924.

I'm looking for Certificates #119 & 327. Do not have the dates, or where they were filed, however, Joseph was living in Mono Mills, Mono County, California, 1912(ish) - 1915(ish) when he relocated to Honolulu and was naturalized April 24, 1924.

Can someone help me find the record(s) and if I need to apply for documents.

Appreciate the help,

Roberta Winn

• Re: Seeking naturalization records from 1924 in Honolulu
          Susannah Brooks Pioneer

Joseph Fanger was naturalized in Hawaii on 26 Apr 1924 (certificate #1193327). His petition number was 1246 in volume 10 & filed on 7 Jan 1924.

I could not find the actual petitions online.

• Re: Seeking naturalization records from 1924 in Honolulu
            Josette Schluter Tracker

Dear Ms.Winn,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Ms. Brooks has referenced an index entry for the US District Court for the District of Hawaii, 1900- 1976 ( M2074), a microfilm reel held by the National Archives at Washington, DC and was digitized and made available online through our partnership with Ancestry.com.

The index to naturalization and petitions for naturalization for the US District Courts for the District of Hawaii would be held by the National Archives at San Francisco. For more information about these records and to request a search of their records, please contact the National Archives at San Francisco (RW-SB) at sanbruno.archives@nara.gov. When contacting them be sure to include: the name of petitioner (including known variants); date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RW-SB.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!