1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 17, 2021 1:06 PM by Jason Atkinson Branched from an earlier discussion.

How was V-mail cataloged?

mark landreth Wayfarer

I'm wondering how vmail would have been cataloged; by individual, by unit, by some other method? If you can point me to a link where I can do the research, it would be most helpful. Thanks! mark

• Re: How was V-mail cataloged?
          Jason Atkinson Guide

Dear Mr. Landreth,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Records Relating to Wartime Postal Instructions, 12/1941 - 1945 in the Records of the Post Office Department (Record Group 28) that contains minutes, memoranda, and correspondence on all aspects of the Post Office Department's involvement in the U.S. Government's wartime effort. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

If you are referring to the archival cataloging of V-mail, as we explain in our response to Was original V-mail correspondence kept by military?, V-mail was not permanently retained by the military or any other government department. Our response to the other inquiry provides links for additional information about V-mail. If you are referring to mail sorting, the page Operating V-mail provides some information about this. And you may be interested in A Brief History: 100 Years of U.S. Military Mail Services.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful