2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2021 12:00 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking President JFK 1963 assassination files

HoangLan Nguyen Newbie

Dear Sir/Madame, I would like to know about the death of president John Frank Kennedy and president Ngo Dinh Diem (VNCH-Republic of Vietnam). Thank you .

• Re: Seeking President JFK 1963 assassination files
          Ethan Kent Adventurer

Dear HoangLan Nguyen:

You have asked a very general question (or 2, if the queries about the 2 assassinations are considered 2 separate questions).

I hope that 1 or more National Archives and Records Administration staff member may reply to you, but I will say the following (the 1st is the reason I am replying now at all -- as a US citizen and resident who is *not* on NARA's staff):

1) John F. Kennedy's full name was not "John Frank Kennedy" (you may have been thinking of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who was President from 1933 to 1945), but John Fitzgerald Kennedy;

2) There is information about John Fitzgerald Kennedy's assassination (or related to it) elsewhere in the National Archives, but Record Group 272 here: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/598 ("Records of the President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy, 1954-1965" (the Commission was often referred-to as the "Warren Commission": it was headed by US Supreme Court Chief Justice Earl Warren) ) probably holds the overwhelming majority of documents concerning Kennedy's assassination in the US National Archives (and lots of the documents in this Group have been digitized and are available from the online National Archives Catalog via the URL/web address I just cited here;

3) I would suggest that a NARA staffer address your question about the assassination of Neo Dinh Diem -- but the File Unit entitled "Evolution of the War. Counterinsurgency: The Overthrow of Neo Dinh Diem, May-Nov. 1963" (I believe from what were once known in the US as "the Pentagon Papers" -- from a US Department of Defense Task Force concerned with the history of the United States's involvement with Vietnam which led to what in the US was called the "Vietnam War") may well be of help to you. Its URL/web address via the online National Archives Catalog (its documents are now consultable online) is here: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/5890497  .

Good Luck.

Ethan W. Kent/"EthanFromBellmore" at the National Archives Catalog (where I do some volunteer work) and here at History Hub).

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking President JFK 1963 assassination files
            Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear HoangLan Nguyen,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Records of Investigations of Other Alleged Activities, 6/1973 - 1/1976 in the Records of the Watergate Special Prosecution Force (Record Group 460) that includes 13 file units pertaining to President Ngo Dinh Diem. For information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - FOIA (RD-F) at specialaccess_foia@nara.gov.

We also searched the John F. Kennedy Library website and located 33 files relating to President Ngo Dinh. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the John F. Kennedy Library (LP-JFK) at kennedy.library@nara.gov.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RD-F and LP-JFK. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

Lastly, we suggest that you use the JFK Assassination Collection Reference System and review the JFK Assassination Records Collection website for more information about the assassination of President Kennedy.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!