1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 15, 2021 11:41 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking death certificate of a stillbirth in 1960s

    Choyette Rico Newbie

      Hi Everyone, I recently gave birth to a baby who died shortly after she was born. My grandmother provided my support through this experience caused her to think about the time she had a stillbirth when she was married to my Papaw. A experience where she was not even allowed to see or hold the baby after giving birth. She was not even told the baby's name until she spoke with a Papaw about the loss of my child. I was hoping to be able to gift her a copy of the death certificate for this baby -- my Papaw advised he never filled out a birth certificate due to the birth being a stillbirth. Would anyone know where I could start looking for a death certificate from a stillbirth in 1960s on a naval base in Panama? Thanks for any recommendations.

        • Re: Seeking death certificate of a stillbirth in 1960s
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Ms. Rico,

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          Please review the Department of State web page How to Request a Copy of a Panama Canal Zone Birth or Death Certificate for instructions on requesting a death certificate.


          Additionally, NARA’s National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) stores inpatient, outpatient, dental and mental health records created at Naval medical treatment facilities. Some record collections date from the 1940s and 1950s, but more comprehensive information exists beginning in the 1960s. Naval facilities transfer the Dependent Medical Folders (DMFs) to NPRC, generally after 1-5 years of inactivity. If your grandmother was a military dependent, NPRC may have a DMF for her which includes records relating to the stillbirth. Send your request to the National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  See Medical Treatment Records - for Military Retirees and Dependents (created at military medical facilities) for more information.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!