1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 14, 2021 12:28 PM by Zachary Dabbs

Seeking immigration records for Wera (Mary) Shinkiewicz

Lorraine Piurowski Newbie

Seeking immigration records for my grandmother, Wera (Mary) Shinkiewicz. There are numerous name variations on my grandfather's naturalization document (Iwan /John Schinkewicz, Shynkowich, Shinkewicz, Shinkiewicz), with changes that were filed to that record.  That naturalization record shows he arrived on June 2, 1912 on the Kursk (ship's manifest was found) and also indicates that she immigrated in 1913 and arrived in New York.  Census records consistently indicate she was born in Poland.  Their son, my father, was born in 1914 in New York.  Yet,  I find no immigration records under any variation in spelling, nor do I find any immigration records for her under her maiden name, Dunajczan, or variations/similar sounding names. Based on the fact that my father was born in 1914, it seems reasonable to think she immigrated in 1913, but I am at a loss to find any record of her.  Any ideas?

• Re: Seeking immigration records for Wera (Mary) Shinkiewicz
          Zachary Dabbs Tracker

Dear Ms. Piurowski,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 6/16/1897 - 7/3/1957 (T715) in the Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service (Record Group 85) that may include a listing for Ms. Shinkiewicz. Some of these records have been digitized and are available using the Catalog. For information about the non-digitized records, please email the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

Also, you may find it useful to visit the The Statue of Liberty—Ellis Island Foundation, Inc website. They have an online searchable database of 65 million records of passengers arriving to the Port of New York from 1820 to 1957 that may include the person(s) you seek.

Another potential resource is the Certificate Files (C-Files) created by the Immigration and Naturalization Service, which are now overseen by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) agency. USCIS maintains duplicate copies of court records (including the certificate of citizenship) for naturalization proceedings created from September 27, 1906 through March 31, 1956 within the C-Files. Beginning on April 1, 1956, INS began filing all naturalization records in a subject’s Alien File (A-File). C-Files and certain A-Files may be requested through the USCIS Genealogy Program.

Please note however that until the 1922 passage of the Married Women's Act a woman’s status as a U.S. citizen was determined by the citizenship status of her father or husband. So Ms. Shinkiewicz may not have gone through the naturalization process herself as she would have been considered a citizen once Mr. Shinkiewicz became naturalized. And if Mr. Shinkiewicz completed the naturalization process prior to the passage of the Married Women’s Act she would have retained her citizenship without having to complete the process herself under the new law. For more information, please see the article “Women and Naturalization, ca. 1802–1940” by Marian L. Smith which is available online.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!