7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2021 2:21 PM by Ann marie Rennie

    Trying to locate a photo of my grandfather Robert Vaden Payne

    Ann marie Rennie Wayfarer

      I am trying to find a picture of my grandfather Robert Vaden Payne serial number 20363396

      my mother has searched fruitlessly for a picture of her father.

      He was killed 4 days before her 1st birthday.

      Robert was  from Virginia and met my grandmother in London.

      Thankyou in anticipation

      Ann Marie Rennie

        • Re: Trying to locate a photo of my grandfather Robert Vaden Payne
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some information, please not picture of army individuals were not permanent records to the service member. Here is a copy of the Hospital Admissions cards


          Name:Robert V Payne
          Rank:Enlisted Man
          Admission Date:Aug 1944
          Discharge Date:Aug 1944
          Military Branch:Unassigned and Assignments (Not Elsewhere Classified)
          Diagnosis:FirstLocation: Body, generally; CausativeAgent: None or Unknown
          Type of Injury:Casualty, battle
          Injured in Line of Duty:In line of duty
          Type of Discharge:Died
          Service Number:20363396
          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Trying to locate a photo of my grandfather Robert Vaden Payne
            Jason Atkinson Guide

            Dear Ms. Rennie,

            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            The "official" photograph of an individual is not considered to be permanent federal records by the respective military services and is not retained in a separate collection by the service. If the photograph you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in the individual's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). However, there is no guarantee the photograph will be present.


            We searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the World War II Army Enlistment Records database that includes a file pertaining to PAYNE#ROBERT#V. Please use the information in this file when requesting a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Photographs of various U.S. Army activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). These records do not include photographs of all soldiers and or all units, and not all soldiers depicted in the photographs are identified by name. Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov.


            Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.  Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            The information you seek may be contained in his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). For the IDPFs from 1940-1976 of personnel with surnames that begin with M-Z, please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405. They are being scanned by the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency in order to properly identify remains of those still listed as missing.


            Also, we note that he originally enlisted in the National Guard in Roanoke, Virginia, and served in the infantry.  He may have been a member of the Virginia National Guard, and may have served in the 29th Infantry Division.  This would be consistent with him having been in London in 1944.  The 29th was stationed in England prior to its participation in the D-Day Normandy landings. You may wish to contact the Virginia Army National Guard Historical Records Hotline, the 29th Division Association, the 29th Infantry Division Archives, and the Virginia National Guard Historical Foundation for assistance. Additionally, the Historical Society of Western Virginia may have some useful local history resources.


            We searched Find-A-Grave and located a listing for PVT Robert Vaden Payne Jr., buried at  

            Mountain View Cemetery Vinton, Roanoke County, Virginia. You may wish to contact the cemetery to inquire about their records as well as family information.  Additionally, his sister died as recently as 2004. It may be possible to use obituaries from local papers and information from the cemetery where she is buried to locate members of her family, who may in turn have family papers or photographs related to him.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!