1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 13, 2021 2:24 PM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking voyage information of British War Bride

Jack Sanchez Newbie

I am trying to find records of my mother's voyage from Britain to the USA.  She was a war bride and would have come by ship.  Can I find her records?

• Re: Seeking voyage information of British War Bride
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

Dear Mr. Sanchez,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Subject and Policy Files, 1906-1957 in the Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service (Record Group 85) that includes 1 file related to European war brides that may be useful for your research. The series Manifests of Alien Arrivals at Bangor and Houlton, Maine, ca. 1906 - 1953 in Record Group 85 includes records related to war brides as well. These records have not been digitized. Please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov for access to and information about these records.

Next, we located the series Decimal Files, 1946 and the series Historical Report of the London Area Office, Western Base Section, 12/15/1946-6/30/1946 in the Records of Headquarters, European Theater of Operations, United States Army (World War II) (Record Group 498) that each contain some records related to British war brides. The series Subject Files, 1949-1953 in the General Records of the Department of State (Record Group 59) includes a file titled General File G.I. War Brides (U.K.) that might be relevant as well. These records have not been digitized. Please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov for assistance with these and similar records.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1 and RDT2.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

Please note that U.S. Army Transport Service passenger lists of military personnel and their dependents from 1941 to 1946 are still in the legal custody of the Army.  For access to these records, please contact Joyce Luton, Director, Records Management Directorate, 9301 Chapek Road, Building 1458, Fort Belvoir, VA  22060.  The telephone number is (571) 515-0213.  The email address is joyce.luton2.civ@mail.mil.  Please request the name of the facility, transfer numbers, and box numbers.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!