3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2021 12:30 PM by Mike Cramer

    Searching for military personnel records of Fred J Paone

    Mike Cramer Newbie

      I  am searching for my uncle's military personnel records for his time in the USAAF during WW II.  His serial number was O-690861; I can’t find his social security number. He was a 2 Lt. killed in action on February 25th 1944. I would like to find all his personnel records to learn about his training and performance locations and information.  Is this information available only from the National Archives? Thanks

        • Re: Searching for military personnel records of Fred J Paone
          Elliot Schneider Guide



          Here is some information.





          2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Searching for military personnel records of Fred J Paone
            Rachael Salyer Ranger

            Dear Mr. Cramer,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of your uncle’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            We searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the World War II Army Enlistment Records database that includes 1 file related to Fred J. Paone. You may use the information in this file when requesting a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            Plus, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Missing Air Crew Reports (MACRs), 1942-1947 in the Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General (Record Group 92) that includes MACR 3160 for Fred J. Paone. The MACR has been digitized and is available using the Catalog.


            Finally, the information you seek may also be contained in his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). For the IDPFs from 1940-1976 of personnel with surnames that begin with M-Z, please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405. They are being scanned by the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency in order to properly identify remains of those still listed as missing.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


            1 person found this helpful