5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2021 11:14 AM by Brian O'Regan

Seeking Northeast France Map Grids during WWII

Brian O'Regan Wayfarer

Have several references to coordinates in radio transmissions from 410th Regiment from Cactus Division (103rd Infantry Division) during WWII. Looking for the maps that correspond. Believe I am Nord Guerre section of grids provided. Two examples. The 0330 hrs reference is the crossing of a Rhine location. Have yet been able to find longitude and latitude.

One of 3 differently used coordinates. This is Altrip, Germany atrea I beleive.

This is the ALtrip Apr 27 date. The previous one is end of January as 103d provided Seventh Army support in Lorraine.

• Re: Seeking Northeast France Map Grids during WWII
          Lisa Sharik Tracker

Brian:

I've done a blog post on our website about how to find these coordinates : Finding WWII Map Coordinates | The Texas Military Force Museum (texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org)

I also went ahead and did it for two locations from your attached documents:

For the March 1945 location near Neuhofen Germany, I used WR on the Nord de Guerre Map. Here is the exact location of point 538938

Map with location

Here are the specific longitude and latitude

March location

For the January location I used WQ on the Nord de Guerre map for point 982461:

map location near Jaegerthal france

and the cooridnates:

January location coordinates

Respectfully,

Lisa Sharik

Texas Military Forces Museum

1 person found this helpful
              Brian O'Regan Wayfarer

Lisa, first what i got from an earlier response from you to another was the first explanationn that allowed me to do the Rhine River location BEFORE I received your response today. Was throilled to do and thrilled to verify. So, Thank you soo much. Second, the actual numbers in the first one had a  lower case g rather than an 8. We both chose to use 8 to convert. I wondered why g was used initially. Any idea. Thank you again. Working on a retracing of my Father's combat trail and standing exactly where he was. Made my day!

Lisa Sharik Tracker

Brian:

Sorry for repeating information I've given to you already, it is hard to keep up with who I've answered before but I'm glad you've been able to make use of the information.

Not sure about the lower-case letter "g".  I looked at the word "camouflaged" in the same March 1945 message, to see what the lower case "g" looks like in that typeface, I can sort of see why you might thing the second number could have been "g" then someone retyped it with a number 2 but both "8s" are definitely a number 8, look at the "0800" for the 8 am radio message and it looks the same as the 8s in the coordinates.

I used 528938, from the 0330 radio message. I mistakenly wrote 538938 in the text of my response.

Good luck with your search.

Lisa Sharik

1 person found this helpful
                Rachael Salyer Ranger

Dear Mr. O’Regan,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series World War II Records, ca. 1941 - ca. 1947 in the Records of the Adjutant General’s Office (Record Group 407) that consists of maps and charts, overlays, city plans, aerial photographs, photomaps, pencil sketches, and architectural drawings for World War II that may include the maps you are seeking. These records have been digitized and can be viewed online using the Catalog.

Next, we located the series World War II Operations Reports Maps and Map Overlays, 1944-1945 and the series World War II Operations Reports Situation Maps, 1944-1945 in Record Group 407 that might also be relevant to your research. These records have not been digitized. Please contact the National Archives at College Park - Cartographic (RDSC) at carto@nara.gov for access to and information about these records.

Plus, we located the series World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in Record Group 407 that includes records of the 410th Infantry Regiment and 103rd Infantry Division during WWII. Although these are primarily textual records, they often include maps and overlays. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSC and RDT2.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

Finally, we suggest that you contact the U.S. Army Center of Military History or the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center for additional assistance.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!