1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 8, 2021 11:26 AM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking Female Patient Records of St Elizabeth's Mental Hospital

Timothy Hall Newbie

I am trying to locate patient records for my great grandmother Eleanora Narrington who was a patient at Saint Elizabeths Hospital from approximately 1910 through 1930's. I am trying to get information on her illness, treatments and her date of death. I have been able to verify that she resided as a patient via the 1910,1920 and 1930 US Census. I have been unsuccessful in getting access to St. Elizabeth's Hospital register of female patient records 418.4.1. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was very disappointed that this poor women was ignored and her name was never mentioned in any compacity by my mother or grandfather. Thank you

• Re: Seeking Female Patient Records of St Elizabeth's Mental Hospital
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Hall,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located two series titled Register of Female Patients, 1866 - 1933 and Case Files of Patients, 1855 - 1950 in the Records of St. Elizabeths Hospital (Records Group 418) that may contain your great grandmother’s records. For access to these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful