9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2021 3:28 PM by René Skou Larsen

Seeking information about Julia and Anine Jensen

René Skou Larsen Wayfarer

Two of my family emigrated to the United States, exactly Albany near New York. Mother and daughter travel by boat, the HEKLA, in 1892. The mother's name is Julia Jensen and the daughter's name is Anine Cecilie Jensen. I know they lived in Albany Ward No. 11 in 1915. I would like to know something more about them, is it possible? I know also that that Julia Jensen died on 24.september 1926 and was buried in Graceland Cemetery. And where will the daughter be, Anine Cecilie Jensen. Julie or Julia Jensen's husband worked as a Watchman in a bank.

• Re: Seeking information about Julia and Anine Jensen
          Susannah Brooks Pioneer

Since the marriage of James Jensen and Julia was the 2nd marriage for both of them, what was Julia's and Anine's surname(s) prior to their arrival in the US or prior to this marriage?   Also what was the approximate birth year of Anine, since she was not with the couple in the 1900 or later censuses?  James appears in the 1892 NY state census with his first wife, Annie E. Jensen.  He and Julia probably married 1894/95.

Hi Susannah

I'm very happy with your message.

Julia and Anine's last name before was Larsen.

Anine was born in 1870 in Århus in Denmark.

I also know that James went to Denmark in 1893 and got married for the second time in 1894 in Denmark.

Next, Anine has a brother who I have found out today also travels to America.

His name is Charles Frederik August Nicolaisen born in 1879

He is a clerk and travels to New York in 1902 with the ship OSKAR II.

I look forward to hearing from you.

The warmest Christmas greetings from Denmark.

Rene Skou Larsen

Susannah Brooks Pioneer

Charles Frederik August Nicolaisen was an elevator inspector in the Albany area of NY.  He married Bertie M. Chapin 1904/05 and they lived with her widowed mother, until the mother's death at the end of 1924.  They had no children. 

NICHOLSEN — Charles, of 231 Delaware Ave., Elsmere, on Saturday, Apr. 18, 1959, husband of Bertie Chapin. Services at the Brasure Chapel, 342 Hamilton St. on Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Friends and members of the International Union of Elevator Constructors Local No. 35 are invited and may call at the chapel Monday evening. NICHOLSEN — Members of Ancient City Lodge No. 452 F. and A.M. are summoned to be present at 7:30 p. m. on Apr. 20 at Brasure Funeral Home, 34'A Hamilton St., to conduct memorial services for • our late brother* Charles Nicholsen. KENNETH BARDIN. Master. M. D. MEEKER. Secretary [from Knickerbocker News (Albany) 20 Arp 1959]

So far I have been unable to find Anine Cecilia Larsen or Jensen in the US, other than her arrival.  She used the surname Jensen when obtaining an emigration permit in Denmark and on the passenger arrival list in 1895.  I even tried looking for the surname of her birth father (Eokildsen).  In the 1900 & 1910 US Censuses Julia states that she had given birth to 3 children (which matches baptismal records) and all 3 were living at the time of the censuses.

Josette Schluter Tracker

Dear Mr. Larsen,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Passenger Lists, 1817 - 1897 (M237) of vessels arriving at the Port of New York in the Records of the U.S. Customs Service (Record Group 36) that may include the lists of the Hekla for 1892. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at New York (RE-NY) at newyork.archives@nara.gov.

We also located the Population Schedules for the 1900 Census, and the Population Schedules for the 1910 Census, the Population Schedules for the 1920 Census, the Population Schedules for the 1930 Census, and  the Population Schedules for the 1940 Census in the Records of the Bureau of the Census (Record Group 29) that may contain information about Julie Jensen, Charles Nicolaisen, Anine Ceclia, and their families in New York.  The 1940 Census schedules are digitized and available using the Catalog. For more information about the non-digitized schedules, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RE-NY and RDT1.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

We suggest that you review NARA’s Resources for Genealogists, as well as the History Hub Blog titled Suggestions and Advice for Family History Researchers. Also, the FamilySearch Research wiki for New York may be useful.  Another useful resource would be the New York State Archives and Albany County Historical Association.

You may wish to search Ancestry or FamilySearch for the U.S. Census. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, please check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

Alice Lane Ranger

Hi Rene,

Welcome to History Hub

I am curious as to where you got the name of ship and arrival date.

In the Census that you posted it states that James and Julia had 3 living children, do you know their names? It is doubtful that James is the father since Julia was about 49 when they married.

Julia became naturalized the year that they married 1895.

From the Census records I found that James and Julia lived and owned a home at 270 Second St in Albany, here is the house as it is now 270 2nd St, Albany, NY 12206 | Redfin

Alice Lane

Research Volunteer

Hi Alice

It's well seen, this detail I had not noticed.

But I know at home that Juliane Kirstine Larsen had 3 children with 2 different men before she married James Jensen.

The first child is Anine Cecilie Larsen, with whom she travels to America. And then she has 2 boys.

With Pilot Anders Nicolaisen.

Child No. 1 Henry Louis Martin Nicolaisen born 1876.

Child No. 2 is him, as I have described in one of the posts that travels to America in 1902 with the boat OSKAR II

His name is Charles Frederik August Nicolaisen born 1879

I myself have been doing genealogy for 25 years and have many pictures of the family.

René Skou Larsen