1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 8, 2021 10:41 AM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking WWII records of Walter John Luchesi

Natalie Mauney Newbie

I am trying to find out anything about my great-great grandfather's service during World War II.

His service number was 16128033. He enlisted in the Army October 5, 1942 in Chicago, Illinois (Air Corps) and was discharged at Chanute Field, Illinois on November 30, 1945.

My grandmother (his daughter) believes he was stationed in Lake Charles, LA or at MacDill in Tampa (or both). I submitted a request to NPRC, but haven't heard back. I also know that he was hospitalized at Lake Charles AAF in March 1945 and was listed as "Air Force - non-flying Support Unit."

I am desperately trying to figure out what unit he was in, where he was stationed throughout the war, and anything else about his service during the war. Would appreciate any help here! Thanks!

• Re: Seeking WWII records of Walter John Luchesi
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

Dear Ms. Mauney,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The information you seek will most likely be included in your great grandfather’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF), which you have already requested. You may Check the Status of a Request for Military Service Records on the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) website.

We searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the World War II Army Enlistment Records database that includes one file related to Walter J. Luchesi (16128033) that lists his civilian occupation as “Skilled mechanics and repairmen, motor vehicles.” It is possible that the support unit your grandfather served in utilized these skills.

Next, the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) has custody of microfilm copies of operational records relating to U.S. Army Air Force/U.S. Air Force units. We searched the Air Force History index to the microfilm and located 39 files related to the Lake Charles Army Airfield, 126 files related to MacDill Field, and 128 files related to Chanute Field from October 1942 to November 1945 that may contain some relevant information. Please read the brief Abstract to determine which records you are interested in and click on the specific PDF icon. In the PDF listing, the IRISREF is the microfilm reel number and note the FRAME and FRAMELST numbers for the location on the reel. If the reel number begins with A, B or C, please contact RDT2 via email at archives2reference@nara.gov for more information about them.

If the reel number begins with D - Z, the microfilm is still security classified and RDT2 will not be able to make the reel available to you. The original paper copy from which the film was created is still in the custody of the Air Force Historical Research Agency (AFHRA) and has been declassified. To obtain copies of these records, please follow the instructions on this page. If there is no IRISREF information, only AFHRA has the records.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.  Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Finally, the US Army Center of Military History has made a number of resources related to the Army Air Corps available on their website that might be of interest to you. We suggest that you contact them or the US Army Heritage and Education Center for further assistance.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!