6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2021 2:40 PM by Elliot Schneider

Seeking military records about John Law

Cynthia Gayton Wayfarer

I contacted the Winchester National Cemetery with regard to a Union Scout buried there:

1.Name:LAW, JOHN
      Rank & Branch:UNION SCOUT   US ARMY
      War Period:CIVIL WAR
      Buried At:SECTION 66 SITE 3098
      Cemetery:WINCHESTER NATIONAL CEMETERY
      Cemetery Address:401 NATIONAL AVENUE WINCHESTER, VA 22601 
      Telephone:(540) 662-8535

I asked from where the information related to John Law was derived and was told to contact NARA. The person who answered the phone referred to a physical print out that said John Law was "executed." I believe that this person may have been affiliated with activity in Loudoun Heights, Virginia - perhaps as late as 1864.  Are there official records aligning the circumstances of people interred at specific National Cemeteries available to the public?  Thank you!

• Re: Seeking military records about John Law
          Elliot Schneider Guide

Cynitha,

I would love to help narrow down your search, I did find his grave site on findagrave. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/3007115/john-law

Question is this a family ancestor and if so do you have anything additional such as a date of birth, possible place of birth or state he may have lived? John Law is very common name especially from the union and confederate sides. It would help to provide additional information to narrow my search.

1 person found this helpful
              Cynthia Gayton Wayfarer

The person in Winchester National Cemetery (Federal - he was a Union scout) is definitely the person I am looking for - but I don't have any other information about him. There was a person named "Law" that anecdotally lived in Harper's Ferry WV at the time of the John Brown raid in 1859 - so I am estimating that he was likely older than average soldier age - maybe 30-40 at that time. He was not in HF in 1860 - but could have ended up in been in Loudoun, Frederick or Clarke counties - but was dead before the 1870 census. I was thinking there would a Civil War-era account/record of his death since he was buried in a National Cemetery. Would a Scout be part of Infantry in the Army?

Not a relative of mine.

Thank you!

Elliot Schneider Guide

Cynthia,

Do you happen to have an 1850s Census, they have enlistments records by state/county. Scouts are typically under the Cavalry/Infantry. They do have burial cards and registration cards but if you could narrow John Law down to at least a state he may have lived would be very helpful. There are over 2000 hits on John Law, just do not have the extra time to search that many names.

Do you happen to have a wife name or know if he was married may have a widows pension record.

Last question Cynitha what ties anything about the John Law that you found in Winchester National Cemetery to any of the research you have started already. Because there are about 40 other graves including the one you had posted earlier.

Elliot Schneider Guide

Cynitha,

This is what I'm telling you here is just one multiple of John Law and there are many more like him. This is why it is important to have additional information. If you are just seeking to give him a proper notation on findagrave.com without additional information it will be hard to track him down.

Name:John Law Jr
                    Enlistment Date:22 Dec 1863
                    Enlistment Rank:Private
                    Muster Date:5 Jan 1864
                    Muster Place:Vermont
                    Muster Company:E
                    Muster Regiment:2nd SS
                    Muster Regiment Type:Sharpshooters
                    Muster Information:Enlisted
                    Casualty Date:23 May 1864
                    Casualty Place:North Anna River, Virginia
                    Type of Casualty:Wounded
                    Muster Out Date:22 Aug 1864
                    Muster Out Information:died wounds
                    Side of War:Union
                    Survived War?:No
                    Injured in Line of Duty?:Yes
                    Residence Place:Fairfield, Vermont

Name:Pvt John G Law
                    Death Date:29 Jan 1863
                    Death Place:Keokuk, Lee County, Iowa, United States of America
                    Cemetery:Keokuk National Cemetery
                    Burial or Cremation Place:Keokuk, Lee County, Iowa, United States of America
                    Has Bio?:Y
                    URL:https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/68932083/john-g-law
                  Jason Atkinson Guide

Dear Ms. Gayton,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Corrected Printed List of Union Soldiers Interred in Winchester National Cemetery, Virginia and Knoxville National Cemetery, Tennessee, 1865? - 1865? in the Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General (Record Group 92) that is arranged alphabetically by name of soldier.  We also located the Registers of Deceased Volunteer Soldiers, 1861 - 1864 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94) that lists the name, rank, organization, date of death, cause and place of death, by whom the report was forwarded, inventory and clothing account, and remarks for volunteer soldiers who died during the Civil War; the Registers of Deaths of Volunteers, 1861 - 1865 in Record Group 94 which indicates the name, rank, date, place, and cause of death, with remarks; and the Registers of Deaths in the Regular Army, 1860 - 1889 in Record Group 94 which shows the name, rank, organization, age, race, birthplace, length of service, cause of admission to hospital and whether in line of duty, date and source of admission, results and disposition of the case, and cause of death. John Law may be listed in one or more of these registers.  For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

Elliot Schneider Guide

Cynitha,

Found this interesting you may want to look into the group called Loudon Rangers. Here is a link

https://www.loudounhistory.org/history/loudoun-cw-rangers/