1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 6, 2021 2:14 PM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking tribe enrollment of father and grandpa

    rose vandick Newbie

      It had a lot of native stuff with it, and like a supplemental census, but it had my dad and grandpa enrolled. I need help because I cannot find it. They are Apache and San Juan Pueblo.

        • Re: Seeking tribe enrollment of father and grandpa
          Lisha Penn Ranger

          Dear Ms. Vandick,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          For an overview on how to begin your research, we suggest that you review NARA’s webpage about Native American Heritage as well as the FamilySearch Research wiki for Indigenous Peoples of the United States Genealogy


          When embarking on Native American genealogy, please note that the records in the custody of NARA often only detail those living on the reservations or being administered by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. If an ancestor was Native American and left the reservation or did not have interaction with the United States Government as such, they will not be recorded in NARA’s records and tracing their genealogy may be difficult.


          In case your father or grandfather were on a reservation in 1940 or earlier, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Indian Census Rolls, 1885-1940 (M595) in the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (Record Group 75) that has a listing of Apaches. For more information about these non-digitized records, please email the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.


          Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.


          You also may search the various Free US Indian Census Rolls 1885-1940 that are organized by Tribal Nation for mention of your family.


          Lastly, please contact the Yavapai-Apache Nation and the Ohkay Owingeh Pueblo, formerly known as the San Juan Pueblo, about censuses taken after 1940 and tribal membership.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!