1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 7, 2021 7:07 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking Unit Reports on 547th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Battalion

John O'Malley Newbie

Seeking Unit Reports on 547th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Battalion, 95th Infantry Division during WW2. I've obtained a copy of the 547th AAA unit history booklet, "Mission Accomplished", but otherwise I haven't been able to find out much information about my grandfather's unit.  I'd appreciate any guidance on where to look or what records to request. The family has lots of vague stories about his service but I'm hoping there's more thorough documentation. Happy Holidays

• Re: Seeking Unit Reports on 547th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Battalion
          Jason Atkinson Guide

Dear Mr. O’Malley,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917 - 1985 (Record Group 407) that includes records of the 547th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Battalion during WWII under file CABN-547. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We also located Morning Reports, ca. 1912 - 1946 in the Records of the National Archives and Records Administration (Record Group 64) that may contain morning reports of the 547th AAA Battalion. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RL-SL.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

According to the Center of Military History, the 547th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion (Mobile) was attached temporarily to the 95th Infantry Division from 5 October 1944 through 21 May 1945.

The U.S. Army Heritage & Education Center, 950 Soldiers Drive, Carlisle, PA 17013, has a large collection of published unit histories.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!