2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2021 1:28 PM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking any information about Francis Louis O'Hare's Military Service

    Benny O Newbie

      Seeking Military Service information about Francis Louis O'Hare.  His Enlistment Date: March 23rd 1943. His Discharge Date: October 1st 1945. Service Branch: U.S Army, Unit: 2nd Infantry Division, 9th Infantry Regiment, Service Company (Assuming transportation)


      I know some standard information on his whereabouts, I've been searching for quite a while. Getting down to request his DD-214, however there's wonders lingering in the back of my mind that just can't be answered, and I'm not the professional at searching for this stuff' so I'd figure asking for some help. I just relate to him now, he died very young and there's not much information I can pull up about him.

        • Re: Seeking any information about Francis Louis O'Hare's Military Service
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some additional information. Iowa WW2 compensation records have been digitized see below. You are correct according to paperwork he served with SVC Company 9th Infantry, 2nd Division.





          2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking any information about Francis Louis O'Hare's Military Service
            Lisha Penn Ranger

            Dear Mr. Benny O,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917 - 1985 (Record Group 407) that includes records of the 2nd Infantry Division, 9th Infantry Regiment during WWII. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. We were unable to locate specific records of the Service Company.  Records of lower echelon units sometimes were incorporated into the files of the regiment.


            If you have not already done so, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.  Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


            1 person found this helpful