4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2016 2:17 PM by Jerome Small

Looking for the naturalization papers for Jennie Small

Jerome Small Newbie
        • Re: Looking for the naturalization papers for Jennie Small
          Patrick Connelly Adventurer

Mr. Small,

The passport application filed by Jennie Small was a form specifically for persons claiming citizenship through the naturalization of a husband or parent.  Prior to 1922, women normally would derive citizenship through a parent of spouse.  The form indicates that the husband was naturalized in the Circuit Court of Henry County, TN.  These records are normally found at the county courthouse.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • Re: Looking for the naturalization papers for Jennie Small
              Jerome Small Newbie

Thanks for the response Mr Connelly. I do have a copy of the Henry County court document declaring citizenship for John. However, this was in 1898 prior to marriage to Jennie around 1906. I tend to agree that citizenship was derived based on the marriage. But do you think they would have had to return to the Henry County court to authorize citizenship for Jennie? I believe she would need some proof of citizenship but so far I cannot locate the source. Guess it would be worth a try to contact the Henry County court and ask the question.  I am presently in contact with the NARA archive near Atlanta.