2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2021 2:14 PM by Rebecca Collier

    Seeking records about Frank Gaughan

    James Mullins Newbie

      My sister is a retired police detective from Needham, MA. The department has very little information regarding Officer Frank Gaughan. He was a WWI veteran and a Police Sgt. He died of a heart attack on Nov. 28,1931 after helping out with fighting a house fire. We trying to find out any information we can. Where is he buried? What are the names of his wife and child? If anyone knows of anything about this fallen hero would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

        • Re: Seeking records about Frank Gaughan
          Susannah Brooks Pioneer

          This is the obituary of John F. Gaughan, who was Sgt Frank Gaughan. It was from the Boston Globe, 1 Dec 1931.

          • Re: Seeking records about Frank Gaughan
            Rebecca Collier Ranger

            Dear Mr. Mullins,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Population Schedules for the 1900 Census, and the Population Schedules for the 1910 Census, the Population Schedules for the 1920 Census, and the Population Schedules for the 1930 Census in the Records of the Bureau of the Census (Record Group 29) that may contain information about John Francis (Frank) Gaughan, his wife Margaret Gaughan, and daughter Claire Gaughan in Needham, MA. For more information about the non-digitized schedules, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.


            You may wish to search Ancestry or FamilySearch for the U.S. Census. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, please check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.  Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We also searched Findagrave.com and located a page for John Francis Gaughan that includes his death certificate and WWI Draft card.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


            1 person found this helpful