1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 2, 2021 11:28 AM by Jason Atkinson

    How do I research a relative's survivor's pension record?

    KAREN DAVIS Newbie


      I am trying to find my great grandmothers pension record for her son who fought in WWI or the Spanish American war?

        • Re: How do I research a relative's survivor's pension record?
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Ms. Davis,

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Both the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) and the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) have pension files relating to the Spanish American War. The bulk of the World War I claims files are at RL-SL. Please email both RDT1 at Archives1reference@nara.gov and RL-SL at stl.archives@nara.gov with full details about the file you are seeking.


          Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1 and RL-SL.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.


          Pension files should only be in the custody of the Department of Veterans Affairs if they were still active in 1955 when the inactive files were transferred to the National Archives.  If both RDT1 and RL-SL have already informed you that they do not have the file, please file a FOIA request with the Department of Veterans Affairs.  Their FOIA website is https://www.va.gov/foia/.  All questions regarding VA’s FOIA procedures and fees may be emailed to VACOFOIAService@va.gov.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!