2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2021 4:09 PM by Theresa Vennie

    Seeking military records of my grandpa

    Dominic Rounds Newbie

      I am trying to learn more about my grandpa. He used to serve in the U.S. Air Force during Vietnam. Can you help my find more information about him?

        • Re: Seeking military records of my grandpa
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Mr. Rounds,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for individuals for those who served in the U.S. Air Force after 1958 and before October 1, 2004 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          • Re: Seeking military records of my grandpa
            Theresa Vennie Scout

            Hello Dominic:

            Can you provide additional information for your grandpa such as name, birth, death and a place that he may have lived?