2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2021 9:29 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking replacement medals

    Kristine Krueger Newbie

      I have tried every day to find the right address or web site, but it is all so very confusing, on site take you to another and than another. Can someone that really cares please help me! We lost all his medals to a house fire and now we have nothing. I do have his paper work in lock box, so I can send that.

        • Re: Seeking replacement medals
          Elliot Schneider Guide



          Sorry about the loss of your family medals. Unfortunately, NPRC/NARA are not processing medal request at this due to the pandemic. But please make sure you keep checking back. https://www.archives.gov/veterans/replace-medals

          2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking replacement medals
            Rachael Salyer Ranger

            Dear Ms. Krueger,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            In general, for former Air Force, Army, Navy, and Marine Corps personnel, NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate Air Force, Army, or Navy department for issuance of the medals. For requesting verification of medals and awards, please use eVetRecs on NARA’s website or complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and send it to NARA's Military Personnel Records, National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Provide as much information as possible in Section II under "other."


            In some circumstances for veterans of the U.S. Navy, the National Archives has no authority to issue, replace, or to determine eligibility for medals or awards. You should write to the Navy Personnel Command (PERS-312E), 5720 Integrity Drive, Millington, TN 38055-3120, which has jurisdiction over such matters. 


            Please note that for requests submitted by Next-of-Kin (NOK) and not by the veteran him/herself, the process (and cost) for replacement medals requests differs among the service branches and is dependent upon who is requesting the medal, particularly if the request involves an archival record. In addition, for the Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps & Coast Guard, the NOK is defined as: the un-remarried widow or widower, son, daughter, father, mother, brother or sister, but for the Army, the NOK is defined as: the surviving spouse, eldest child, father or mother, eldest sibling or eldest grandchild. If you do not meet the definition of NOK, you are considered a member of the general public. More information about Requesting Replacement Medals is available on NARA’s website.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We hope this is helpful.