2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2021 7:43 PM by Sherri Mead

Seeking certification of non-naturalization from NARA

Sherri Mead Newbie

I currently have a non-naturalization letter from USCIS for my Grandfather Enrico Santin. I am confused as to how I can obtain a non-naturalized NARA document (certified). It is needed for my "Eligibility to Italian Citizenship" documentation. thank you.

• Re: Seeking certification of non-naturalization from NARA
          Josette Schluter Tracker

Dear Ms. Mead,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The National Archives does not have the authority to issue a certification of non-existence of a record and can only issue a negative search letter. Negative results for a search of National Archives holdings only indicates that a naturalization record was not located in the possession of the National Archives, not that it does not exist.

To obtain a negative search letter you will need to contact the National Archives facility that has custody of the Federal court records for the state where the individual resided when they may have naturalized to conduct a search. Once a search is completed the facility will notify you of the results and either issue copies of the records or a letter of no records located. No central index exists. To ensure a successful request with the National Archives, researchers should include: the name of petitioner (including known variants); date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin. Please see NARA’s Dual Citizenship Assistance - Frequently Asked Questions for more information.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from the reference unit you contact. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!