1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 29, 2021 9:54 AM by Josette Schluter

    Looking for records of Antonio, Juan, Celia, & Bernardo Martinez

    Valentin Martinez Wayfarer

      Looking for the birthdates and birth places of Antonio, Juan, and Celia Bernardo Martinez. All born in Harlingen, Cameron County, Texas. All living in Colorado and Houston, Texas.


      Also, I am looking for the naturalization or immigration records, and birth certificate for Bernardo P. Martinez. This is what I have on Bernardo who was a Marine and is a Vietnam Veteran: sex - male; race - White; born 06/11/1915, died 03/10,1987; Married to Valentina Rodriguez, until 1949; Later married and Survived by Esperanza last name unknown; Lived 1218 W. Madison, Harlingen, Cameron County, Texas

        • Re: Looking for records of Antonio, Juan, Celia, & Bernardo Martinez
          Josette Schluter Tracker

          Dear Valentin Martinez,

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          In general, naturalization was a two-step process* that took a minimum of five years. After residing in the United States for two years, an alien could file a "declaration of intention" ("first papers") to become a citizen. After three additional years, the alien could "petition for naturalization" (”second papers”). After the petition was granted, a certificate of citizenship was issued to the alien. These two steps did not have to take place in the same court. *Exceptions can include cases of special consideration for veterans.


          If a naturalization took place in a Federal court, naturalization indexes, declarations of intention (with any accompanying certificates of arrival), and petitions for naturalization will usually be in the National Archives facility serving the state in which the Federal court is located. Records of the Federal District and Circuit courts for the state of Texas are located at the National Archives at Fort Worth. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Fort Worth (RM-FW) at ftworth.archives@nara.gov. No central index exists. To ensure a successful request with the National Archives, researchers should include: the name of petitioner (including known variants); date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin.


          If you haven’t already done so, we suggest that you request a copy of Bernardo’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1904 and before 1959 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RM-FW. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Lastly, we suggest that you contact the Texas Vital Records Department of the State Health Services to request a search for a birth certificate, as directed by the CDC page for Vital Records for the state of Texas.  You may wish to note any name variants or broaden your search for the surrounding years. In addition, the FamilySearch Research wiki for Texas may be helpful.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

          1 person found this helpful