1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 1, 2021 8:55 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking copy of photograph of Charles Gillingham with General Eisenhower

Vaughn Johnson Newbie

Hi Everybody, I have attached a copy of a photograph that used to hang in Madigan Hospital in Tacoma, Washington. This photo was taken in 1947 and it shows then-General Eisenhower touring the facility. The man standing behind him is my great uncle, Charles R. Gillingham. The only photo we have (and the one I attached) was taken years ago with an older cell phone so it is not very high resolution. I have been trying to find a high-resolution copy of the photo so that I can make prints for my cousins. I did reach out to Madigan Hospital already, and the officer there was very helpful but he was unable to find the photo. See suggested that I check with the National Archives next which is why I am here. I would also love to know if anybody has suggestions of other places to look. I thought of asking the Eisenhower Library, but this was before he was President so I don't know if they would have it or not.

General Eisenhower at Madigan Hospital 1947

• Re: Seeking copy of photograph of Charles Gillingham with General Eisenhower
          Jason Atkinson Guide

Dear Mr. Johnson,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Photographs of various U.S. Army activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov. Please note that most of the US Army photographs in National Archives custody from this time period were taken by Signal Corps photographers for official Army purposes.  If the photograph was taken on an informal basis by staff of the hospital, it may not have been accessioned into the National Archives.

Also, the Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library & Museum (LP-DDE) has many photographs relating to Eisenhower’s life prior to his presidency.  If a copy of the photograph was provided to him, he chose to retain it, and eventually, donate it to the Library, they may have a copy.  Please contact LP-DDE via email at eisenhower.library@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS and LP-DDE. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!