1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 29, 2021 1:25 PM by Jason Atkinson

Where are medical records for USS Sanctuary & USS Repose?

Mary Ann Rhode Newbie

Where are the medical records for the USS Sanctuary and USS Repose located since the ships were decommissioned? My husband was a patient on one of the ships, but the NPRC has no medical records for him.  I believe that records must exist for the USS Sanctuary and the USS Repose since they were hospital ships.  Hospitals always maintain their medical records.  I need to know where these records are located for these ships so I can make inquiries.

• Re: Where are medical records for USS Sanctuary & USS Repose?
          Jason Atkinson Guide

Dear Ms. Rhodes,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Not all medical facilities and hospital ships permanently retained records of individual patients separately from the service member’s individual medical file. If the National Archives has these records, they would be in the custody of the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC). If you wish to request that they double-check their records, you may resubmit your request, stating that it is a resubmission. Also you may contact Customer Service via 314-801-0800 with questions.  See Clinical (Hospital Inpatient) Records for former Active Duty Personnel for more information about these records. Depending on when the veteran separated, the records still may be with the branch of service or the VA. See Veterans' Medical and Health Records for more information.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful.