1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 22, 2021 11:59 AM by Susannah Brooks

Seeking ancestors of William Bartles Hawke

Evan Nance Adventurer

My grandfather's name is William Bartles Hawke. I am trying to find if I have any famous ancestors but I keep getting lost and confused with everything. Could someone please help me?

• Re: Seeking ancestors of William Bartles Hawke
          Susannah Brooks Pioneer

You need to systematically work your way backwards from William Bartles Hawke, through his parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc.  The purpose should be to accurately find your ancestors, not to find famous people; although someone famous may spring up in your search. 

There is a partial history of your family in a book:

Vol 5 Northwestern New Jersey: a history of Somerset, Morris, Hunterdon, Warren & Sussex counties. pp188-192

This book is available on Ancestry.com (a subscription research site) and you may be able to obtain a copy through an interlibrary loan.

There are several family trees on www.familysearch.org, which is a free research site, but you need to sign up for a user name and password.  Use these trees for hints, but be very careful using family trees created by other people, unless their sources are heavily documented.