3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2021 3:46 PM by Elliot Schneider

Seeking Army Unit Rosters for 1990s

Ryan Boysen Newbie

Hello, my name is Ryan and I'm a reporter working on a profile about an attorney who was in the Army from 1994 to 1997.  For the story, I'm trying to track down some people who served with him, to get a sense of what he was like when he was like back then. I know the Division, Battalion and Regiment he was in, as well as where he was stationed and his rank and role. However, I reached out to the Army and they said they don't have unit roster info for the 1990s and sent me to the National Archives. After much back and forth, the National Archives told me they don't have any Army unit roster info after 1972... So at this point I'm at a bit of a loss. I've tried other sources, like Facebook and LinkedIn, but have hit a brick wall there as well. Was wondering if anyone on History Hub has ever had success with a search like this, or has any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Re: Seeking Army Unit Rosters for 1990s
          J. Andrew Scout

Keep in mind that even if you locate the records, whoever has them would first have to scrub the records of social security numbers and any other PII, which would require them to be processed under FOIA.  This is a time consuming process. And then after that, you are going to be left with nothing but a set of names with no further identifying information.  You aren't going to get any information about the current whereabouts of the soldiers, and for a variety of reasons ranging from privacy concerns to the fact that the US government doesn't actively track former servicemembers unless they are receiving some sort of pensions or other benefits, you aren't going to be able to find any government agency either able or willing to tell you where people live and how to get in touch with them.

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Ryan,

Here is some information.

In October 1974, the Army Standard Installation Division Personnel System (SIDPERS) included Personnel Data Cards (PDC) that replaced Morning Reports and Zero Strength Balance Reports (ZSBR) that replaced the rosters. A SIDPERS contains information on the service member during the entire period of time assigned to an organization, regardless of length of time. It also includes information about TDY, AWOL, DEF, gains, losses, promotions, reductions. SIDPERS was discontinued on November 21, 1990. For a copy of a SIDPERS record, please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and it mail to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Please include the individual's name, Social Security Number, complete organization and location, and the date the individual left the unit.

Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Boysen,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

In October 1974, the Army Standard Installation Division Personnel System (SIDPERS) included Personnel Data Cards (PDC) that replaced Morning Reports and Zero Strength Balance Reports (ZSBR) that replaced rosters. A SIDPERS contains information on the service member during the entire period of time assigned to an organization, regardless of length of time. It also includes information about TDY, AWOL, DEF, gains, losses, promotions, reductions. SIDPERS was discontinued on November 21, 1990. Please contact the U.S. Army Human Resources Command for more information about the system that replaced SIDPERS.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful