8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2021 12:14 PM by joan stachnik

Seeking identification of branch of service and military base from photo

joan stachnik Tracker

HI, I'm trying to identify the branch of service of this individual. It is a WWII-era photo. I can't see any markings or insignia on the uniform, but does anyone have a guess as to what branch of service he might be in? Also, possibly the base he might have been at? I ask this because of what looks like a large bell (too large for a ship's bell?) in the background. I don't know who this young man is, but I found the photo in some family papers, probably a friend of one of my parents. I know it's unlikely to find the answer, but I thought I would ask the forum. thank you, joan

• Re: Seeking identification of branch of service and military base from photo
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

Joan,

Is that a Bell that he is standing next to. Possibly the Navy or Navy base.

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Do you happen to know his name or family that may have known him?

joan stachnik Tracker

HI Elliot, thanks for the reply. No, I do not know the name. I have an address on the back of the photo, so I'm going to try to search the 1940 census using that. I'm guessing he was neighborhood friend of one of my parents, based on the address. Yes, I think that's a bell, so maybe navy? But the uniform doesn't look like a navy issue to me. joan

joan stachnik Tracker

Hi Elliot, I was able to find his name, Chester J Kleczkowski. Born 1920 in Chicago. He enlisted 13 Oct 1942 (ASN 36384670). So not Navy, if he as an ASN? Also, his uniform might not be that dark; I had to adjust the contrast on the photo since it was pretty faded. Thanks, joan

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Joan,

Here is some additional information. Also found his Hospital index card here is what they have available.

Name:Chester J Kleczkowski
                      Race:White, includes Mexican (White)
                      Admission Age:23
                      Birth Date:abt 1921
                      Admission Date:Jun 1944
                      Discharge Date:May 1944
                      Military Branch:Coast Artillery, Anti-Aircraft Units (ex. Airborne in ZI)
                      Diagnosis:FirstLocation: Leg; SecondDiagnosis: Skin, disease of, other; ThirdDiagnosis: Contracture, otherCausativeAgent: Artillery Shell, Fragments, Afoot or unspecified
                      Type of Injury:Casualty, battle
                      Medical Treatment:Graft, skin, half-thickness
                      Injured in Line of Duty:In line of duty
                      Type of Discharge:Duty
                      Length of service:2 Year(s), 5 Month(s)
                      Service Number:36384670

Name:Chester J Kleczkowski
                      Race:White
                      Marital status:Single, without dependents (Single)
                      Birth Year:1920
                      Nativity State or Country:Illinois
                      Citizenship:Citizen
                      Residence:Cook, Illinois
                      Education:1 year of high school
                      Civil Occupation:Packing, filling, labeling, marking, bottling, and related occupations, n.e.c.
                      Enlistment Date:13 Oct 1942
                      Enlistment Place:Chicago, Illinois
                      Service Number:36384670
                      Branch:Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
                      Component:Selectees (Enlisted Men)
                      Source:Civil Life
                      Height:67
                      Weight:124
                      1 person found this helpful
                          joan stachnik Tracker

Thanks Elliot, I appreciate the help. So a Coast Guard unit. That might explain the bell in the photo. joan

Jason Atkinson Guide

Dear Ms. Stachnik,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

To clarify, based on the information provided by Mr. Schenieder, Chester J Kleczkowski was assigned to Coast Artillery Corps, which was a branch of the US Army, not the Coast Guard.  During World War 2, Coast Artillery also was responsible for the anti-aircraft units, in addition to its traditional role manning harbor defense positions along Amerca’s coast.

The uniform in the picture is consistent with the Army service uniforms of the time period.  Unfortunately we can not offer a certain identification of the location where the photograph was taken. Based on his branch of service, one possibility is that it was taken at Fort Monroe, where the Coast Artillery School was located. You may wish to share the photograph with the staff at the Fort Monroe National Monument to see if they recognize any of the features in the photograph.

If you wish to further research his service, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!