4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2021 1:00 PM by Joseph Rooney

Is there a place to upload military boot camp group photos?

Brian McCullough Newbie

My father served 1953 to 1955 at Fort Belvoir, Fairfax, Virginia in the US Army Corps of Engineers. After he passed, we found his training unit photo. Today, I saw another unit photo posted to the "Family Treasures Found" Facebook group. (That group tries to reunite historical documents with descendants.)  Is there a place to upload these kinds of unit photos?

• Re: Is there a place to upload military boot camp group photos?
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

Dear Mr. McCullough,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We are unaware of any formal, centralized location online where veterans and their families are sharing unit photographs like the one you mentioned.

The National Archives is the repository for the permanently valuable records of the U.S. Government, and we do not solicit or collect private, unofficial manuscripts, diaries, memoirs, or other artifacts created by individuals while in the armed forces. There are a number of organizations, however, that do collect such materials. We suggest that you contact the History Office of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers or the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center for further assistance.

We hope this is helpful.

Brian McCullough Newbie

That's unfortunate. I was hoping that there was some National Archives reconstruction collection point related to the National Personnel Records Center fire of 1973. These training camp unit photos seemed likely to have been among the records that would have been destroyed.

Joseph Rooney Wayfarer

My Aunt Micky's husband Arthur Stear was a POW in the Pacific theatre WWII and his records were destroyed in that St Louis conflagration.  She did get his last DD214 and newspaper clippings from her Mom, my Aunt Micky.   I realize the importance of those records but from time to time check my family history brick walls and found he was listed in a Japanese prison camp http://www.powtaiwan.org/The%20Men/men_list.php?page=74 assembled by appreciative volunteers in Taiwan. Arthur reenlisted after being released and debriefed by the War Department.  He was in a B-50 refueling plane for the first around the world non-stop flight when it hit a mountain in the Philippines, all the crew was killed.  And as an effort to assist my cousins, I traced their family name back to Darmstadt where Valentine Steer was born in 1811.

What I'm saying is pay it forward, stuff you share may assist somebody you may never know.  And someday you may get that assist out of the blue. And in my levels of permanence, sites like Flickr, Google Photos and Facebook may go the way of pix.ie (no funding) where I loaded a bunch of family photos.  I have since loaded them elsewhere.  Maybe the US Government will fold it tent, I don't believe it will soon, but I believe the LDS Church has such trustworthiness, reliable volunteers, and permanence that information there will transcend commercial and governmental efforts.

Joseph Rooney Wayfarer

I agree with Rachel Salyer about no formal government place to park these pictures.  But, if your intent is to share, as best you can, with others that may have interest, you could place them on free commercial sites, but I'm entertaining putting similar pictures with the Church of Latter Day Saints through their familysearch on line site.  I believe you can upload pictures with tags and you can assign them to your family tree or leave them sit there idle.  I haven't studied this tutorial completely: https://www.familysearch.org/en/blog/search-historical-records-update