1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 22, 2021 7:42 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking insane asylum admission records

    Kathleen Halverson Newbie

      Hello. I am looking for admission records for my great aunt, who was institutionalized (I think against her will) by her parents in northeastern PA between the years of 1935 and 1940. For reasons of family mental health history, I want to find out why she was hospitalized. She entered in her late teens and lived in various hospitals across the state until her death in 1995! She was one of 12 siblings. Our generation only found out about her in the 1990s. I am writing a book on my great aunt, as well, and I am hoping to get some key information so that I can better develop her character in the book. I am the oldest granddaughter of her oldest sister. I have both her birth certificate and her death certificate, and I have obtained limited power of attorney to request her records by the attorney who held power of attorney for my great aunt. Vital Info:


      Pauline Solensky

      Birthdate: 17 Jan 1916 or 19 Jan 1916

      Born in: Throop, PA (the Scranton, PA, area)

      Death date: 5 Nov 1995

      Date of committal: Sometime between 1935 and 1940

      Institutions she resided at: Danville State Hospital, Clarks Summit State Hospital, possibly Scranton State Hospital, and, for the last decade or so of her life, South Mountain Restoration Center in Franklin County, PA (near Gettysburg)


      Can you be of any help? I'm also in touch with the PA State Archives and the Lackawanna County Court System, but I haven't heard back yet. Thanks

        • Re: Seeking insane asylum admission records
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Ms. Halverson,

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The National Archives does not have records of state hospitals or medical records of persons who were not members of the military. The organizations you have already contacted are the ones most likely to either have these records if they are still extant, or will be able to advise you regarding the disposition of the records.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!