3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2021 3:34 PM by Petra Gunderson-Leith

    Seeking pension records for a Civil War volunteer nurse

    Petra Gunderson-Leith Newbie

      Seeking pension records for a Civil War volunteer nurse who received a pension shortly after they were granted to nurses. Would this fall under NATF Form 85 or is there another form that would better serve this search?

        • Re: Seeking pension records for a Civil War volunteer nurse
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Do you have any information on the individual you are seeking? Name, DOB, place of birth?

          • Re: Seeking pension records for a Civil War volunteer nurse
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Ms. Gunderson-Leith,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            The same procedures apply for requesting  pension files for nurses as for other Civil War veterans. The majority of Civil War pension files in the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15) are in the custody of the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1). To request a search and order copies of military pension application files at this location, please complete a NATF Form 85 and mail it to the address on the form. Please note that the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received.


            There are also 3 record series (XC files) in Record Group 15 at the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) that include claims files relating to Civil War Veterans.  These records were transferred to the National Archives in 1952 and 1955 from the VA. To request a search of the records at both DC and in St. Louis, please email both RDT1 at archives1reference@nara.gov and RL-SL at stl.archives@nara.gov with full details about the file you are seeking.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1 and RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            Civil War pension files may be in the custody of the Department of Veterans Affairs if they were still active in 1955 when the inactive files were transferred to the National Archives.  If both RDT1 and RL-SL have already informed you that they do not have the file, please file a FOIA request with the Department of Veterans Affairs.  Their FOIA website is https://www.va.gov/foia/.  All questions regarding VA’s FOIA procedures and fees may be emailed to VACOFOIAService@va.gov.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

            1 person found this helpful