1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 19, 2021 1:46 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking Medal of Freedom general orders for China Theater

Ted Xinmu Qiu Newbie

I am searching for a clear original copy of the General Order No. 7 issued by Headquarters United States Army Forces China (HQ USAF China), located then in Shanghai, China, with date 14 May, 1946. My uncle's name is listed on it, as one of the 82 recipients of the Medal of Freedom (Bronze Palm). This medal was issued per the Executive Order 9586 by President Harry Truman on July 6, 1945. We have a copy of this paper, but it is not clear at all. That is why I request a clear/original copy of it, if it is available.

I am also searching for a clear original copy of the General Order No. 99 issued by Headquarters United States Forces China Theater (HQ USF CT), located in Shanghai, China, with date 30 April, 1946. This General Order 99 was issued before the the GO 7 mentioned above, including other 79 recipients of the Medal of Freedom (Gold Palm or Silver Palm). These two general orders may be processed with the same purpose but in different levels. Again, We have a copy of this paper, but it is not clear at all. That is why I request a clear/original copy, if it is available, of this General Order No. 99.

I hope to request other documents, if available, relating to these two general orders, about the procedure of the making these two award name lists, selection requirements of criteria, etc. I understand that the two general orders mentioned above were a result of certain rigorous selection, and I hope to know how and why my uncle be selected, because even my uncle himself does not know why. He received his medal from mail 75 years ago, with no explanation. At that time he served in an airbase in Texas, and several his fellows received such medals too but no one knew how he be selected.  Please let me know if I need to provide any more information regarding my requests. Thank you!

• Re: Seeking Medal of Freedom general orders for China Theater
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Xinmu Qiu,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the China Theater Awards Files, 1944 - 1946 in the Records of U.S. Army Forces in the China-Burma-India Theaters of Operations (Record Group 493) that includes the awards of the Bronze Star, Good Conduct Medal, Battle Star, Legion of Merit, Medal of Freedom, Breast Order of Yun Hui, Civil Service awards and others. We also located General Orders, 1944 - 1946 of the China Theater Adjutant General in Record Group 493 that may include the general orders you seek. These records are not available online. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at Archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!