1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 19, 2021 3:32 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking aerial photos of Navajo National Monument

Jo Young Newbie

Hello, I am a NPS archeologist at Navajo National Monument. I am researching the construction sequence of Navajo National Monument's Mission 66 Visitor Center and its complex of surrounding features and structures for Section 106 compliance needs at my park. Can anyone on this forum provide recommendations for a website/s that provide historical sequences of aerial landscape photography (other than Google Earth Pro, an account I do not currently have). The aerial imagery timeframe I am needing is between the 1950s to present. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Re: Seeking aerial photos of Navajo National Monument
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Jo Young,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the 5 record series in the Records of the National Park Service (Record Group 79) that contain records pertaining to the Navajo National Monument. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at Denver (RM-DV) via email at denver.archives@nara.gov.

We also located Central Subject Files, 1938 - 1969 in Record Group 79 that include files containing correspondence, reports, memoranda, park publications and studies about the Navajo National Monument. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at Riverside (RW-RS) via email at riverside.archives@nara.gov.

For possible aerial photographs and maps pertaining to the Navajo National Monument, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Cartographic (RDSC) at carto@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RM-DV, RW-RS, and RDSC. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!