1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 22, 2021 12:01 PM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking student exchange information about Sebastião Modesto

Gabriel Duarte Newbie

Hi, I would like to know some immigration Information about my grandma's brother who went to the US during the 1970s as an exchange student. I would like to know for example which state he went to, with who he stayed something like that. Unfortunately, he died during the 1980s and I never had a chance to meet him, and the family doesn't really know this kind of information. That's what I need help with. His full name is Sebastião Alves Modesto and he was Brazilian.

• Re: Seeking student exchange information about Sebastião Modesto
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

Dear Mr. Duarte,

Thank you for posting your request on HIstory Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Name Index, 1910-1973 for the Central Decimal Files, 1910 - 1963 in the General Records of the Department of State (Record Group 59) that may include an index reference to file 811.111 for Sebastião Alves Modesto. This file number is for documents relating to the applications from foreign citizens for a visa to enter the United States. We also located the series Regional Subject Files, 1953-1971 in the Records of the U.S. Information Agency (Record Group 306) that contains 6 files related to exchange programs that might include some useful information. These records have not been digitized. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Next, we located 14 files related to the American Field Service exchange program in multiple collections at various Presidential Library facilities. These records have not been digitized. Please contact the National Archives reference unit listed in each Catalog description for assistance with those particular records.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 or various other NARA reference units. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Finally, if you know which school or university in Brazil your grandmother’s brother attended, they may have a record of the exchange program he participated in. We suggest that you contact them directly for further assistance. If he participated in the American Field Service (AFS) exchange program, please contact AFS for a search of their records.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!