2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2021 4:53 PM by Legislative Archives

Juneteenth

STEPHEN HOSMER Adventurer

Hi

I know that some months ago the president made Juneteenth a national Holiday.  Could you please give me a little background history of this holiday what is it for and why was it needed and for what purpose.

If you could include the document the president signed to make it a holiday too that would be good.

Also any links about the history of it becoming a Holiday that would be good to see also.

Thank you

Stephen Hosmer

• Re: Juneteenth
          STEPHEN HOSMER Adventurer

I hope someone can help me answer my question today.

Stephen Hosmer

• Re: Juneteenth
            Legislative Archives Scout

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for posting to the Hub!

The Juneteenth National Independence Day Act passed on June 17, 2021. This holiday marks the day in 1865 when federal troops arrived in Galveston, Texas and informed the public that all enslaved people were now free. I recommend reading this blog post from the Library of Congress: Legislative History of Juneteenth. Here you will find great links to histories of Juneteenth in addition to various bills introduced over the past few years.

Presidential remarks concerning Juneteenth's significance can be found in the American Presidency Project. Here are speeches from Presidents Obama, Trump, and Biden.

If you're interested in congressional debate, I suggest searching the Congressional Record (CR) available on Congress.gov. The CR contains the proceedings on the floor of the full U.S. House and Senate including verbatim speeches and debate. You can also access the statute on GovInfo: Public Law 117-17. On the upper left-hand corner you will find the Government Publishing Office's seal of authenticity.

I hope this information is helpful!

Best,

Dorothy

2 people found this helpful