1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 17, 2021 10:38 AM by Josette Schluter

Seeking naturalization records from Ohio, Northern District, Eastern Division

Andrea Vasarab Newbie

Hi there, I'm looking for more information on a "brick wall" relative. I've found his naturalization index card in this index: Ohio, Northern District, Eastern Division, Naturalization Index, 1855-1967 and it says his certificate was issued in 1947. I'm really unsure as to how to go about finding the actual documentation - petition, oath, etc. I believe the info may be held at the Chicago archives but I've found the online information about what Ohio records are held there to be quite confusing. Hoping anyone more versed in this can help! Thank you

• Re: Seeking naturalization records from Ohio, Northern District, Eastern Division
          Josette Schluter Tracker

Dear Ms. Vasarab,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The index card you located indicates that the individual filed a petition of naturalization in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, Eastern Division. Records for the U.S.District Courts for the State of Ohio are served by and in the custody of the National Archives at Chicago. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Chicago (RM-CH) at chicago.archives@nara.gov.  No central index exists. To ensure a successful request with the National Archives, researchers should include: the name of petitioner (including known variants); date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin, as well as the petition number listed on the index card.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RM-CH. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your

understanding and patience.

In most cases, the National Archives at Chicago will not have a copy of the certificate of citizenship. Two copies of the certificate were created – one given to the petitioner as proof of citizenship, and one forwarded to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).

All INS records are now overseen by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). USCIS maintains duplicate copies of court records (including the certificate of citizenship) created from September 27, 1906 through March 31, 1956 within Certificate Files (C-Files). Beginning on April 1, 1956, INS began filing all naturalization records in a subject’s Alien File (A-File). C-Files and certain A-Files may be requested through the USCIS Genealogy Program.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!