3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2021 10:29 AM by Lisa Sharik

    Seeking WWI military records for Sidney Charles Rhodes

    Jann Rhodes Newbie

      Sseeking my grandfather's WWI military records. Sidney Charles Rhodes

        • Re: Seeking WWI military records for Sidney Charles Rhodes
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Jann Rhodes,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of your grandfather’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          If you can share more information about his branch of service and unit, then we may be able to locate potentially relevant records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

          • Re: Seeking WWI military records for Sidney Charles Rhodes
            Lisa Sharik Scout


            Sidney Rhodes served with Battery D, 131st Field Artillery, 36th Division during WWI. His service card from our files:WWI service card for Sidney Rhode

            The 36th is late to the war. We enter combat on October 7, 1918, so only 24 days of combat, our main battle is the battle of St. Etienne on October 8-10, 1918. You can find more about their record here: 36th Division In World War I (texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org)


            Since he joined the National Guard first, there should be a record for him here at post at Retained Records. Here is how you request that:

            Requesting Information from Retained Records
            to request copies of these records, send a formal request to the Texas Military Department, Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) office using a Standard Form 180.  Their contact information is below:


            By mail to: Texas Military Office of the Adjutant General

                                ATTN: General Counsel, JFTX-GCF (FOIA Officer)

                                P.O. Box 5218

                                Austin, TX 78763-5218


            By e-mail to: ng.tx.txarng.mbx.freedom-of-information-act@mail.mil

            By fax to: (512) 782-6988 (ATTN: FOIA Officer)

            Telephone: (512) 782-5443


            Let me know if you have any other questions.




            Lisa Sharik

            Deputy Director

            Texas Military Forces Museum

            1 person found this helpful