1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 16, 2021 11:57 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking history and records related to A1C Milton Clark McVicker

    scottymac McVicker Newbie

      Seeking history and records related to my uncle, A1C Milton Clark McVicker, who died at the military hospital at Ft. Dix, N.J. Aug. 29, 1959?   I have his service number, if that will help.

        • Re: Seeking history and records related to A1C Milton Clark McVicker
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Mr. McVicker,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of your uncle’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Air Force after 1958 and before May 1, 1994 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          More information about A1C McVickers may be contained in his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). U.S. Air Force IDPFs from 1940-1973 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For more information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.


          Also, Army clinical records (dating back as early as 1957) were maintained at Clinical Record Libraries at selected treatment facilities such as the Walton Army Hospital, Fort Dix, NJ. Please send the name of the hospital, month (if known) and year of treatment, as well as the veteran's name and social security or service number to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Please use a GSA Standard Form 180 when making an inquiry to that office.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!