3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2021 9:34 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking information about Army discharge of Harold Hoag

    Barbara Gadon Newbie

      My father's Army induction card for WWII has the words "dishonorable discharge April 1944" written at the bottom. If this is true, we never knew anything about it. He received full veterans' benefits for college tuition, low interest mortgage, and insurance. We knew he was discharged before being deployed anywhere, but this is very disturbing to my family. We would like to know what happened. His name was Harold Walter Hoag.

        • Re: Seeking information about Army discharge of Harold Hoag
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is the same information I'm reading. Here is a copy of his enlistment record as well. The answers to what you are seeking will be outlined in his Military file if you have not done so I would suggest getting a copy when the pandemic is over or NPRC/NARA resume more than 50 percent staffing. I would contact the state he reside and check with local county veterans service office they may have his discharge papers recorded if he ever received loans, school loans.


          ARMY SERIAL NUMBER1615305116153051
          GRADE: CODE8Private
          BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION###Undefined Code
          BRANCH: CODE00Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
          EDUC. SPEC.####
          DEFER. DATE MONTH0606
          DEFER. DATE YEAR4444
          YEAR OF BIRTH2323
          RACE AND CITIZENSHIP1White, citizen
          EDUCATION62 years of college
          CIVILIAN OCCUPATION992Undefined Code
          MARITAL STATUS2Married
          COMPONENT OF THE ARMY3Reserves - exclusive of Regular Army Reserve and Officers of the Officers Reserve Corps on active duty under the Thomason Act (Officers and Enlisted Men -- O.R.C. and E.R.C., and Nurses-Reserve Status)
          BOX NUMBER02270227
          FILM REEL NUMBER2.84#2.84#


            • Re: Seeking information about Army discharge of Harold Hoag
              Barbara Gadon Newbie

              Thank you so much for this reply. I wrote to the place you suggested. As you say, they are partially shut down due to the pandemic. I will try them again. My father died 10 years ago, but he lived his last several decades in Anoka County, Minnesota. Is it their veterans office I should contact? Are they also partially staffed? At his funeral in 2011, one of them came to the cemetery and presented my family with a flag.


              Since you got his registration card from a government file, that tells me the handwritten note must have been written by a government official. A previous theory I had was that the document came from family files and the note could have been written by my father or someone else in our family playing a prank. He and my grandfather shared a sometimes strange sense of humor.


              In any case, I appreciate hearing from you. The truth can be difficult to hear, but it can't be changed.



              Barbara Hoag Gadon

            • Re: Seeking information about Army discharge of Harold Hoag
              Rachael Salyer Ranger

              Dear Ms. Gadon,


              Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


              We searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the World War II Army Enlistment Records database that includes 1 file for Harold W. Hoag. As Mr. Schneider noted, you may use the information in this file when requesting a copy of your father’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


              If he was dishonorably discharged, then there may be a general court martial file that provides additional information. U.S. Army general courts-martial (GCM) records from 1917 to 1976 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For more information about the records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.


              Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


              Finally, to check if he received VA Benefits, please check with one of Veterans Affairs (VA) locations in Minnesota as provided on the VA’s website.


              We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!