1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 9, 2021 6:56 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking to obtain military records about my living fiancée

    Jacqueline Skasick Newbie

      Is there any way to obtain military records for my living fiancée?  Please advise if there is any way to obtain the following information on a living, unrelated person claiming to have served for the Marines and received a dishonorable discharge. Dates served were within the last 20 years but unsure of exact dates. I want to verify military involvement, years of enlistment & discharge, and reason for dishonorable discharge. The reason information requested is because the individual will have close, daily contact with my children.  Thank you!

        • Re: Seeking to obtain military records about my living fiancée
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Ms. Skasick,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you contact the Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC), which is the central source for identifying, authenticating, authorizing, and providing information on personnel during and after their affiliation with the Department of Defense (DOD).


          In addition, Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) for discharged, retired, or deceased U.S. Marine Corps personnel after December 31, 1998 are in the custody of the U.S. Marine Corps.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps, Manpower Management Support Branch (MMRP-10), 2008 Elliot Road, Quantico, VA 22134-5030. They also are available in electronic format via https://milconnect.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/. Please note that due to privacy concerns, records are generally only released directly to veterans or their next of kin.


          If he was dishonorably discharged, the reason would be recorded in his courts-martial case file. U.S. Navy general courts-martial (GCM) records after 1976 (including Marine Corps), are in the custody of the Office of the Judge Advocate General, United States Navy, 1322 Patterson Avenue, Suite 3000, Washington, DC 20374-5066. To request an individual courts-martial case file, please submit a request to the Military Justice Information Division. Instructions on how to submit a request are available on their Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) page.


          We hope this is helpful.