6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2021 11:56 PM by Charles Seaton

    Seeking location of officers listed in Special Orders

    Charles Seaton Wayfarer

      Hi all, I have a photo album that my grandfather made of his time in post WWII Germany. His special orders are included in this album and I was hoping to find pictures of some of the other servicemen that were extracted with him. Maybe they would match some of the people in the photographs he took. Unfortunately he passed away before anyone in the family could question him about the album to make notes on the content within it. I have attached the first and second pages of my grandfather's special orders "Extract" to this thread. His name is Richard J. Casler on the second page. Would anyone know how to locate the other service members and find pictures of them? Thanks and have a nice day!


      Page one of extraction


      Page 2 of extraction

        • Re: Seeking location of officers listed in Special Orders
          Lisa Sharik Scout

          The Special Order is from the 349th Field Artillery Group, transferring its officers away to other units after the end of combat in Europe. The 349th was formed in 1943:

          349th Field Artillery Group

          The group would have had a large number of officers( more than is shown on this special order), so it is likely he only knew the ones in his Battery or unit. If you could find out his specific unit within the 349th Group you might better to be able to find a roster of its officers, men he would have known and taken pictures of.


          Unfortunately, most of those candid shots taken by soldiers during WWII did not have names listed and trying to find who the men in the pictures are can be difficult. Best of luck in your search.


          Lisa Sharik

          Deputy Director

          Texas Military Forces Museum

          • Re: Seeking location of officers listed in Special Orders
            Elliot Schneider Ranger



            The SO reads on line item #15 that the following named officers were transferred to the 627th FA BN Most like he would have stayed through the Occupation of Germany https://www.rollofhonor.org/public/htmldetails.aspx?Cat=award&EntID=4611


            627th FA activated 20 April 1944, Inactivated in Helibronn Germany 5 September 1946. They entered the war on 25 July 1944 and earned Campaign Streamers for Northern Europe and Central Europe. This is per Jim Sawicki's volume 2 on page 877. He states there was no Coat of Arms or DUI approved. The 627th FA Bn was a non-divisional 105mm Truck Drawn Battalion


            Army of Occupation Medal.jpg



            Also a side not I looked a few of these men up here is what I found.


            Jesse R. De Cair, Jr. he was actually a career service man serving in all three wars ww2, Korean, and Vietnam he retired as a COL-O6  https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/114336429/jesse-richard-decair


            Name:Jesse Richard De Cair Jr
            Death Age:92
            Birth Date:25 Oct 1920
            Death Date:25 May 2013
            Interment Place:Portland, Oregon, USA
            Cemetery Address:11800 SE MT. Scott Boulevard
            Cemetery Postal Code:97086
            Cemetery:Willamette National Cemetery
            War:World War II; Korea; Vietnam
            Branch of Service:US Army
            Relative:Jesse Richard De Cair Jr
            Comments:Veteran (Self)


            Robert A. Delhauer https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/72636829/robert-allan-delhauer '


            1 person found this helpful
            • Re: Seeking location of officers listed in Special Orders
              Rachael Salyer Ranger

              Dear Mr. Seaton,


              Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


              If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of your grandfather’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests. The OMPF may include additional information about the general order, and it may contain information about the specific units your grandfather served in under the 627th Field Artillery Battalion and 349th Field Artillery Group. As Ms. Sharik has noted, it may be easier to identify men in his particular company, battery, or other unit, rather than in the entire battalion or group.


              You also may be able to learn the names of the men your grandfather served with by reviewing morning reports and rosters for his specific units. Morning reports for Army units from November 1, 1912 to 1959 and copies of most of the monthly rosters from November 1912-1943 and 1947-1959 for Army units are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). Rosters for units serving in World War II from 1944-1946 were destroyed in accordance with Army disposition authorities. These records have not been digitized. For more information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov


              Next, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that includes records of the 349th Field Artillery Group (FAGP) during WWII and that may also contain records of the 627th Field Artillery Battalion (FABN) or other units your grandfather served in. These records may include some photographs. For more information about these non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


              Plus, photographs of various U.S. Army activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov and include as much information in your inquiry as possible, such as full name(s), dates of interest, and unit numbers.


              Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL, RDT2, and RDSS. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


              Additionally, you may be interested in the US Army Center of Military History online publication Field Artillery: Regular Army and Army Reserve, Part 1 and Part 2. We suggest that you contact them or the US Army Heritage & Education Center directly for assistance.


              Finally, the National Archives does not have the present addresses of former service personnel or their survivors on file. Please review NARA’s Locating Veterans and Service Members web pages for some ideas on how to locate the persons you seek.


              We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!