4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2021 1:33 PM by Stacy Dietzler

    Trying to obtain my deceased father's DD-214

    Stacy Dietzler Adventurer

      I'm trying to obtain my deceased father's DD-214 for my dual citizenship paperwork. I have his SSN rom his death certificate as well as a SSN ancestry.com record for  U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007  The SSN doesn't work when I try to enter it on the online form. I receive this message after entering it: We may be unable to identify a record without this information. Error Please enter a valid, 9 digit SSN." I don't know what else to do to advance the online form to the next page without the SSN field being accepted.


      Have a few more questions regarding the form:

      - For the Service numbers are 4 to 9 digits and only for service before 1971 - I have a 5 digit number that is in the Order section. I don't see any other numbers so is this the correct one?

      - I don't know the date he entered the service but have the date of his draft card - is that date acceptable?

      - I don't know the date he was discharged and this is the critical information I need to have my dual citizenship application processed.

        • Re: Trying to obtain my deceased father's DD-214
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Ms. Dietzler,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of your father’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) that should include his service number and discharge information. OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before October 2002 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Since you are having problems with eVetRecs, please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter, and those involving the VA Home Loan program. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

            • Re: Trying to obtain my deceased father's DD-214
              Stacy Dietzler Adventurer

              Thank you for the information. As you suggested, I filled-out the GSA Standard Form 180. To clarify, the request will not be reviewed at this time and I should not mail in my request to the NPRC? I need this final piece of information to have my dual citizenship processed as I have already waited a year to obtain other documents. What are other options to obtain the information and how will people know when the NPRC will be accepting requests? If I am able to mail in the form, approximately, how long will it take to be reviewed? Thanks!